Christmas Tree Safety
Let’s be fire smart as we enter the holiday season. Tis the Season to be jolly, but let’s also be cautious of the fire dangers with purchasing a real Christmas Tree. Did you know an average of 160 homes had house fires due to Christmas trees resulting in about $10 million dollars in property damage annually? Please follow these helpful tips from NFPA about Christmas Tree Safety.
Picking the tree
- Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched.
Placing the tree
- Before placing the tree in the stand, cut 2” from the base of the trunk.
- Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights.
- Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.
- Add water to the tree stand. Be sure to add water daily
Lighting the tree
- Use lights that have the label of a recognized testing laboratory. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of light strands to connect.
- Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
- Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.
For more helpful information please visit the following website.
SERVPRO of Corpus Christi East wishes you a very safe and Happy Holiday!